Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Book Review: Troubadours of the Apocalypse edited by Troy Southgate


Good day everyone!

Been a while since I’ve posted here, time to rectify that!

I’ve been busy, both on the neofolk front and other academia front. I’ve been working on an essay about Meteorite-Horror films (such as The Blob, Monolith Monsters, The Deadly Spawn) for inclusion in another edited anthology, so that’s been a huge focus for me. I’m also working on an essay to celebrate the 20 year anniversary (which is today!) of the movie Hackers.

I’ve had a few non-neofolk genre article published at Heathen Harvest since my last post. First, I did a concert report on the KMFDM tour this summer, their stop in LA with Ravens Moreland and CHANT. You can find my write up here:

http://heathenharvest.org/2015/08/26/live-report-kmfdm-chant-ravens-moreland-in-los-angeles/

Next I did a review of the tanz-metal album Unternehmen by Giftstrauch. That review can be found here:

http://heathenharvest.org/2015/08/28/giftstrauch-unternehmen/

However, the most important thing I’ve done was my book review of Troubadours of the Apocalypse, which was published last night.

Troubadours of the Apocalypse by Troy Southgate
My personal copy of Troubadours of the Apocalypse - signed by Troy Southgate and Richard Leviathan


This is a book edited and self published by Troy Southgate of H.E.R.R. It's a collection of essays by many musicians in the genre, such as Gerhard Hallstatt from Allerseelen, Robert Taylor from Changes, Richard Leviathan from Ostara and Raymond P. from The Days of the Trumpet Call.

It came out earlier this year and has long been sold out, but I got the opportunity to review it now. I’ve done one other book review, Simone Castaldi’s Drawn and Dangerous for the Journal of Graphic Novels and Comics under Taylor and Francis, so this was a nice opportunity to do another book review and pursue it in an academic fashion.




I’m extremely proud of this review, it’s very in-depth and detailed. So I hope yall enjoy reading it too!


No comments:

Post a Comment